Everyone in life deserves a support system – someone to provide them with advice and guidance. As a mentor for Philadelphia’s inner-city students, you can be the foundation needed to positively mold and shape a young life. By giving freely of yourself for the benefit of someone else, you’ll find that it is often the mentor who stands to gain the most. Giving back will provide a feeling of accomplishment and an increased sense of purpose. You’ll create a life long bond while helping to change a life.
How to change a life?
- Empathize and relate for those in need of a sounding board
- Provide honest feedback
- Encourage critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Challenge your protégé to think outside the box
- Help your mentee to step out of their comfort zone
- Provide a role-model to those in need
- Build character and self-esteem in younger peers
APPLY TO BECOME A MENTOR
Requirements to be a mentor:
- Strong social skills
- Display confidence
- Ability to empathize/show compassion
- Available during scheduled hours
- Proficient in studies
- Exhibit traits and characteristics worthy of replicating
- Positive outlook
To learn more about becoming a mentor for Philadelphia’s inner-city youth, please contact Timothy McAleer, Director of Mentoring by completing the form below or calling (215) 888-2276.
All mentors will have to complete an application, as well as pass a Criminal Background Check.